Sunday, July 01, 2007

Healing

Some years ago a woman went to consult a famous New York physician about her health. She was a woman of nervous temperament. She gave the doctor a list of her symptoms and answered his questions, only to be astonished at his brief prescription at the end: "Go home, and read your Bible an hour every day; then come back to me a month from today." And he bowed her out before she could protest. At first she was inclined to be angry; then she reflected that the prescription was not an expensive one. She went home determined to read conscientiously her neglected Bible. In a month she went back to the doctor's office a different person, and asked him how he knew that was just what she needed. For answer the physician turned to his desk. There, worn and marked, lay an open Bible. "Madam," he said, "If I were to omit my daily reading of this Book I would lose my greatest source of strength and skill."

No comments: